The past two weeks have been a roller coaster ride, not sure if a thrilling one or a scary one. I guess a little of both. Spring is here!!! Spring is here!! Okay so just a tad bit excited about the warm weather. Well it is obvious, with warm days come cold salads. I have been trying to experiment with different kind of salads past few weeks. Here are the recipes for some of the ones that I have made and have been pleasantly received by my critics here. The first is a wheatberry salad; I have wanted to try this grain for its health value. I am not too confident if I like the texture of it or not but overall if it does good to your body then it is definitely worth the try. I am sure you can pair it with anything that you like; I decided to make it with beets and white beans. I don’t like the part that I used canned beets and beans (I think the canned beans left a little taste to the salad). I will definitely try boiling the beans myself next time to see if the flavor is different.
- 1 cup cooked wheatberry (cover it with enough water, boil and then let it simmer for about an hour)
- ½ cup chopped cooked beets (I used canned so they were boiled, you can roast the beets for a better taste)
- 1 cup white beans cooked (I used canned for this one too, substitute the beans. I didn’t like the flavor of white that much)
- 2 tbsp. goat cheese (softened)
- 2 tbsp. harissa flavored oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients together; crumble the goat cheese on top. The harissa flavored oil, brings a little kick to the salad. It has just the right kind of spice.
For me it took a bit to get used to the texture of wheatberry. It is a little chewy and firm, I will try and make Pulav or some sort of soup with it next time. The wheatberry was just a canvas, maybe different colors next time. Definitely healthy though! Enjoy and say well!